The EI library in London is temporarily closed, as a precautionary measure in light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation. The Knowledge Service will still be answering email queries via firstname.lastname@example.org, and is available for live chats on this page during working hours (09:15-17:00 GMT). Our e-library is always open for members here: https://knowledge.energyinst.org/services/elibrary, for full-text access to over 200 e-books and millions of articles. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Technology Insights Report - OGA
The UK continental shelf (UKCS) Technology Insights report offers a unique insight into companies' technology portfolios, including strategies to access further required technologies for maximising economic recovery of the UKCS (MER UK). This study is based on the technology plans which have been submitted to the OGA by UKCS operators, for the first time as part of last year’s Stewardship Survey.
The study of over 60 UKCS operators’ technology plans revealed:
- A total of over 300 technologies reported, covering the entire asset lifecycle, from seismic to asset management and decommissioning
- Perceived need for innovative solutions, with over 45% of the technologies listed under development and not yet fully tested
- However, reluctance by the majority of UKCS operators (70%) to adopt technologies for which there is still insufficient experience in our basin
- In total, UKCS operators spent £185m on Research and Development (R&D) and field pilots in 2016, a decline of 35% from before the oil price crisis
- Only a small group of ‘leading’ operators (11% of respondents) accounted for 85% of this technology spend, with another 70% of operators, instead, not investing in R&D and entirely reliant on the supply chain for their technology needs
The comparison of individual operators’ plans showed that many existing technologies could be more widely adopted, and that more collaboration among operators on developing novel technologies of common interest is possible.
Follow the link below to download the report.
Online Resource details
- Websites: https://www.ogauthority.co.uk/news-publications/publications/2018/technology-insights-report/ -
- Keywords: Maximising economic recovery -
- Countries: UK - North Sea -
- Subjects: Offshore oil and gas - Oil and gas extraction - Oil production -