UPDATED 1 Sept: The EI library in London is temporarily closed to the public, as a precautionary measure in light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation. The Knowledge Service will still be answering email queries via email , or via live chats during working hours (09:15-17:00 GMT). Our e-library is always open for members here: eLibrary , for full-text access to over 200 e-books and millions of articles. Thank you for your patience.
The EI Library, located in central London, holds a wealth of published material on the energy industries, from oil and gas to renewables, dating from the mid 19th Century.
Enjoy a quiet space to work and access to our extensive library collection.
To search our library catalogue use the “Search EI Resources” box above. Refine the results by “Availability” to see what we hold in the Library.
Energy Institute, 61 New Cavendish Street, London, W1G 7AR
9.00 am - 4.00 pm (UK time), Tuesdays. By appointment only.
Please contact the Knowledge Team to book a morning slot (9am-midday), afternoon slot (1pm-4pm), or all day slot (9am-4pm). Visitors will be limited to 2 at a time.
All visitors are welcome to the library for free. EI members will be given priority.
Library facilities include
- Borrowing items, requesting items, and inter-library loans
- Research and work spaces
- WiFi access
- Access to our collection of periodicals
- Photocopying, printing and scanning facilities. See our FAQs section for details of our fees and charges
If we do not hold an item we can try and borrow it for you from another library, or we may consider purchasing it. Please e-mail email@example.com giving as much information as possible on the item.
Each year, the EI Knowledge Service handles over 13,000 queries that range from very specific questions, which may be answered immediately, to those which require extensive research on a particular subject. Amongst our services, we can offer:
- Quick queries answered free (up to 5 minutes). For example address and telephone numbers; petrol pump prices; simple statistics; etc.
- Extended desk research for example for detailed information on companies; statistics; oil industry operations; etc. See our FAQs section for details of our fees and charges.
- Project-based research opportunities to partner with the EI to undertake or facilitate specific work items such as our Collections.
- Survey and questionnaires to gauge opinion of and engage with EI members. The Energy Barometer initiative includes a survey of professional members and a resulting report published annually.
Another great reason to visit the library is to see our amazing painted ceiling dating from 1777, complete with chariot and mythical beasts...