The EI library in London is temporarily closed, as a precautionary measure in light of the ongoing COVID-19 situation. The Knowledge Service will still be answering email queries via firstname.lastname@example.org, and is available for live chats on this page during working hours (09:15-17:00 GMT). Our e-library is always open for members here: https://knowledge.energyinst.org/services/elibrary, for full-text access to over 200 e-books and millions of articles. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
What criteria should be considered when choosing a lighting designer?
Before contracting for a selected lighting project, you'll want to ensure that a lighting designer can provide an integrated, holistic solution that considers functional, aesthetic and energy-efficiency aspects of lighting design. To check that the lighting professional is sufficiently qualified and experienced:
- Verify their membership status in the Society of Light and Lighting (MSLL), or other industry associations
- Ensure that they hold an SLL lighting diploma or equivalent
- Review their portfolios and testimonials from past contracts
- Look for a designer that can demonstrate a diversity of completed projects
- Enquire how they keep up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies